Pages

Saturday 11 January 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Good Morning to you,


Firstly, I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year.... a little late I know, but this is the first time I have been able to find the time to catch up with you.  I know you understand the reason why. It is because I wanted to enjoy every precious moment with my family, over the Christmas period..... and enjoy it we did.... we have created some wonderful memories.

Goodness me, can you believe it is 2014.... I remember getting excited about the year 2000 and here we are 14 years later.... where did that time go.

I have to tell you, our house is very quiet.... there are no chatting daughters or son-in-laws to listen and talk to,  no one dashing in and out of the house, no Phyllis laughing at George's capers (and my how she laughs).  There is hardly any washing up to be done, just a few cups and plates to wash up now..... there is just George and I, a couple again. George and I rub along very well, but I think we both miss Natasha and Danielle and it does take a little while to settle back into life, as we have both loved the hustle and bustle which has filled our home during the Christmas period or as Sadie would say, we have enjoyed "a house full of busy".

.... but we are getting there. The Christmas tree has been undressed, the decorations taken down and packed away for another year and we are settling down to our own lives again.... we will get used to it, but I have to tell you, it will take a little while.

So, I thought it would be a nice idea, to  look back at 2013 and to remember some of the culinary delights which we have made together.


Do you remember when we made 
English Marmalade,
using Seville Oranges.


We enjoyed the delicious Greek
butter bean dish,
Gigantes Plaki


We enjoyed a wonderful trip to
India
with all it's hustle and bustle.
and

the beautiful flora and fauna
of



Chennai

and
 when we returned home,
we made
this


 impressive
Banoffee Cheesecake 

and as


Summer was just around the corner
 we made
English Scones

and



and as 
lemons were plentiful,


we also
baked a fabulous
Lemon Meringue Pie


and Summer would not be Summer,
without a few
Strawberries and Blueberries
mixed with a soft meringue and double cream
to make
Pavlova

or


Raspberries
to make a 
Raspberry Summer Dessert

but we also enjoyed


a delicious
Caramel Apple Cake

and


a beautifully citrus 
Lemon Tart

and keeping with the lemon theme,


which when ready,
we added to


a wonderful


We also preserved


a few kilos of tomatoes
to make
Sun Dried Tomatoes
(or should I say, oven dried tomatoes)
then we immersed them in olive oil, garlic and oregano,
to enjoy throughout the winter.

We also enjoyed some,

with
 red onion, garlic, spinach
and
Parmesan Cheese


and we dressed up some already delicious 
Greek Olives,
with small slices of lemon, oregano
 (which we had dried ourselves)
and olive oil

and if that was not enough, 
we,



started to think about Christmas
 by baking our 

We followed that with
 a


beautifully, moist,
Chocolate and Coconut Cake

but we soon returned to our Christmas ~ To Do List


as we made

Sausage Rolls 

with some left over pastry.


It was then the turn of my small knife skills
to peel lots of small onions. 
to make
which everyone enjoyed.


We ticked off the



and 

from our Christmas ~ To Do List


and amongst all that sweetness
we also enjoyed making

 The finale of 2013
was the
icing of the




Which, I have to tell you was a huge success.

It has been fun looking back and recounting the cooking, baking and preserving which we have done together..... and it surprises me, the range of lovely food we have created  throughout the year, I suppose it is because it is what I do on a daily basis, so it feels normal. Do you know, it has made me realise, just how much fabulous food George has enjoyed eating..... I think he is just a tad spoiled....but I have to tell you, he tells me, he knows he is spoiled as he says I have always cooked lovely food and he absolutely loves it...... isn't that a lovely compliment.

It has been fun for me and I have really enjoyed sharing my recipes with you.

So here's to another year of culinary adventures..... I wonder what we will be creating in 2014.

It's time for the thinking cap.

Take care of yourself and I will see you very soon.

































No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...