Pages

Sunday 25 August 2013

LEMON TART

Good Morning to you,


Where has this week gone?  Phyllis arrived last Saturday and we both cannot believe how quickly the time has flown by .... one week of her holiday has gone by already.

We are so enjoying each others company. We have been shopping and spent a day in Newcastle. Actually, it's not only the shopping we enjoy, but the entertainment.  Around every corner there are groups singing, artists performing, and violinists serenading us with their beautiful music.

When we arrived at The Greys Monument, we found  there was a film being shown outdoors.  The deck chairs were lined up under The Monument and a huge screen was at the ready for everyone to enjoy a film. We hummed and harred, but decided not to stay, as there were a few bits and pieces we wanted to buy. We both felt we did not miss out on the film, as this week we are going to see The Heat with Sandra Bullock, which looks like it will be fun. I just love a good comedy film..... as does Phyllis.

I asked Phyllis what she would like me to bake today. I said she could choose a cake, some muffins, or a tart, whatever she fancied. With a little thought, well actually a lot of thought, because the one thing, which Phyllis is not good at, is making a decision.  If I give her too many choices, I would have to wait for a couple of hours for a decision, and then a decision would not always be reached. It took a while, but  we narrowed it down, she decided she did not want muffins, a cake would be nice, but she finally, after a lot of thought, decided on a tart.  So today we will be making a,


Lemon Tart.  The ingredients I am giving you is for a thicker Lemon Tart, but I prefer to make two tarts with the filling. By dividing the lemon cream into two tart cases, the  Lemon cream is not too thick, but the lemon still gives a real burst of flavour when you bite into it, so all you need is a small slice, maybe with a drizzle of cream and you have the perfect dessert.

So let's put on our aprons and with a little help from Phyllis, we will begin making this tart.  

The music we are listening to today was chosen by Phyllis, and is,


The Mavericks.  Phyllis loves "Dance The Night Away" and I have to tell you, there was a little dancing around the kitchen when this music played.

I have not written down the instructions on how to make the pastry case as we have made quite a few, but if you would like a reminder, take a look here, when we made Raspberry Summer Dessert.

Remember, you can make one Lemon Tart with a thick layer of filling or two Lemon Tarts with a thinner layer of filling. The instructions are for one thick layered Lemon Tart, although the photographs show a thin layered Lemon Tart..... I hope this isn't too confusing.

INGREDIENTS


6 medium sized lemons


4 large eggs
6 oz (175g) of caster sugar



6 fl oz  of double cream

METHOD

To make one Lemon Tart
9" loose-bottom baking tin 
at least 2 1/2" in depth

Oven temperature 160C (315F)



Juice the lemons



then finely grate the lemon rind


Place the four eggs


and 
caster sugar into a  bowl and 
whisk together



stir in the lemon rind
and
the lemon juice
and stir until thoroughly mixed




Pour into the pre-prepared tart case
and bake for 40 -45 minutes, but check at
35 minutes as you do not want the Lemon tart to
be brown.

Bake until the lemon cream is set but 
has a slight wobble in the middle,
just as you would for a baked cheesecake.



Allow to cool for 15 minutes then remove
the outer case of the tart tin.

When completely cool remove the tart tin base
and place the Lemon Tart on a serving dish





Cut yourself a slice and place it on a plate, then decorate with raspberries or blueberries, sprinkled with a little icing sugar, and if you want to be really decadent, drizzle with lemon cream. 

Take hold of your dessert fork, and place a piece of Lemon Tart on your fork, pop it into your mouth, close your eyes and enjoy the lemon taste explosion.

If, like me you decide to make two tarts, then just divide the cream mixture between two pre-prepared tart cases and bake for 30 minutes.  Oh my, I hope you don't think we were greedy and ate both tarts, rest assured we didn't, we shared them with the family.

Phyllis enjoyed a slice with lemon cream and her verdict was,

 "Oh my, this is very nice, I think I will
 have another piece tomorrow!"

There is no more to be said, is there.

Oh yes there is just one thing, I thought I would mention that Phyllis' star sign is Libra...... hence the time it takes for her to make a decision.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.





13 comments:

  1. You know, my dear Daphne, time flies by
    very fast
    when you are with people you love !!!! I'm happy you are having a great time with your mother!!!
    Your lemon tart recipe looks really delicious !!
    I will store it for future use because there are no Greek lemons on the market at the moment (there are
    only lemons imported from Argentina) and I think
    that the kind of lemons you use can make a difference.
    Have a nice time !!!!
    hugs
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uma delícia. Adoro! beijos, tudo de bom,lindo domingo e semana! chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon tart or pie or squares or anything lemon is my absolute favourite. Yours looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- That sounds so so so good! I am saving this recipe to try. Your instructions were really good but once we got to the place fork in hand part I knew just what to do! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Daphne,
    Looks yummy but with the four eggs and the double cream it's another no-no for both of us because of high cholesterol.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always delicicious, and wonderful, dear Daphne.
    Yes, I knew. My husband spotted it in a car boot sale for 5 pounds.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me smile, you always make baking into a theatrical act. I haven't done any baking for a long time. I have my niece coming to stay this week so baking a cake or tart will certainly be on the agenda. At least it's one more person to share it with, when it's only hubby & me, it's usualy me who eats most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yummy! I love lemon flavored treats and this one looks amazing! Will definitely have to try it!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pinned this. It is my favorite. Is double cream the same as whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Daphne! I can see your mom and I have the same taste in music. I really like the Mavericks,too.. especially "Dance the Night Away" and "Delores"! After reading your post, I had to listen to both songs this morning. Your lemon tart looks delicious. I like anything with lemon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks divine, filing away for summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lemon tart sounds positively scrumptious. And, I like music on when I'm making stuff in the kitchen or cleaning the house. Nothing wrong with a little dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Daphne! This lemon tart looks so yummy. The presentation of it in your photos is also really pretty! I think I would go for the thicker lemon tart! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...