Pages

Sunday 14 April 2013

IVY'S COOKERY BOOK

Good Morning to you,

I am pleased to say we had a beautiful, sunny day yesterday.  George and I went for a long walk and it was so lovely to feel the sun on our faces again.

Sorry to be so English, but you know how we always like to talk about the weather, it is a part of our make up I'm afraid.  When the sun shines and it feels so much warmer, it makes me feel  happy, and  people you pass on the street smile as well, so, I have to talk about it, as the sun might disappear tomorrow and not return for another fortnight.

On Friday I had a lovely surprise. Nowadays, most of the things which drop through my letter box, are either bills, brochures or circulars, or since I have passed 60 years of age, I receive a range of brochures informing me of what I am suddenly in need of......you know, things like chair lifts!!! but  I will not go into that.

It was not always that way, I used to write and receive lots of letters, but I will talk about that another time. So you can imagine how pleased I was to receive two lovely pieces of post. The first was, this lovely card.


Do you remember a little while ago I told you about Ivy's Cookery Book, well, I opened the envelope and what a surprise I received. It was a card depicting The New Radiation Cookery Book, circa 1933.



Look a little closer at the pinafore....isn't it gorgeous. I could not decide if the pinafore was smocked at the waist or if shirring elastic had been used. What do you think? Which ever was used, it certainly looks pretty.

Do you know, I don't think I ever saw Ivy without a pinafore, whether she was cooking, baking, washing or cleaning.  She always used a pinafore to cover her day clothes, so at the end of the day when she was ready to settle for the evening,  she would remove her pinafore....or pinny, as she called it, and her clothes were still neat and tidy.

Phyllis wore pinnies, but the ones she wore were half pinnies.  Phyllis said they were much more fashionable when she was a young married women and she would not have dreamt of wearing a full pinny as they were so old fashioned. What is it about us women and fashion! 



Do you see the egg slicer, on the right hand side. I am sure this style of egg slicer can still be bought nowadays.

I remember Ivy using one of these, they made the slicing of eggs so much easier, as they were cut in a uniform width. The sliced bread was buttered, thinly or as thickly as you could afford, then the sliced eggs were laid onto the bread, the second slice was then placed on top.  I know you all know how to make a sandwich, but I was describing the process, just to reach this point, as it brings back happy memories for me.  The next stage and most important stage to my mind,  (remember I was a little girl) was cutting the bread, not in half, oh no, but into small triangles. Which I loved! they looked so delicate on a tea plate and just right for little hands to pick up.

Looking at the ingredients on the table, I think this lady was preparing an egg salad.



Pyrex dishes were fashionable in the 1930's and I remember when I was married in 1970, I was given quite a few different sizes of Pyrex  dishes as wedding presents. Do you remember, you used to buy one large, one medium and one small casserole dish, with lids.  I used to stack them, one on top of the other, on my open kitchen shelves....this was before fitted kitchens became fashionable. I used the Pyrex dishes for many years, but with moving, slowly one by one, they chipped or broke, but I visited a Charity Shop before I went to India and found three in different sizes just like the one in the picture. I love them as they are so easy to clean, even the most stubborn stains are removed with a little soaking. 

Do you see the little jug with the stopper in the top.  This is how vinegar was decanted by Ivy. They were gorgeous little glass jugs, the only problem was, that as lovely as the jugs were, even if you were careful and only lifted the stopper slightly, nine times out of ten, there was always too much vinegar pouring out. Years later, I used my vinegar jugs for olive oil.



I thought I would remind you what Ivy's book looked like, a little dogeared now, but well used, and certainly well loved. 



I loved the words "A selection of proved recipes".
Now take a look at the next page showing the various editions of the book.




Do you see the sixteenth edition, February 1933? This is the date shown on the card.




Who would have thought. I had not seen anything to do with Radiation Cookers before, so to see this card was such a surprise and such a thoughtful gift. I have decided to buy a frame for the card and hang it in my sewing room where I can see it daily.

My second piece of post I will share with you later in the week.

Before I go, I think I should mention, that as cold as it has been in the North of England, nothing compares to what Debbie from Our Old Homestead
has had to cope with.....16 inches of snow.  Debbie said the snow started on Thursday morning and of Saturday morning it was still falling. It would be lovely if you could pop over and say hello, I can not imagine what it is like being snowed in like that.

This week I shall be joining,



Take care and I will see you later in the week.





18 comments:

  1. What a lovely bit of history. You are such a great story teller! I enjoyed this post so much that I am actually crying a little as I type! :)

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Daphne, what a wonderful card! I would frame it as well. I think the pinny has a shirred waistline...at least that is what it looks like to me. I don't think a cookbook with the word 'radiation' on the cover would sell very well these days. My how things have changed. It is certainly a real treasure. Thank you for the mention, we finally had sunshine yesterday afternoon however it was short-lived. The next blizzard is due to arrive tonight. My oh my, I do not think we will ever see spring!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for joining the party!! I know we had emailed in the past, but I'm not sure if you were aware that your email still doesn't show with your google plus. I can still reach you here by commenting though.
    Thanks for always stopping by my blog. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andie is so right, you are such a great story teller or better yet, a gifted writer with the most comforting way of writing that makes your reader feel a part of the story. I loved this post from beginning to end with the card, history and your memories.

    What a wonderful book. I must admit I had no idea that 'radiation cooking' was around in the 1930's, but as I googled it, I found that it is or was not always limited to microwave ovens as we know them today.

    Visiting today from my BlogRoll and Claudia's Favorite Thing.

    Sue CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to get! Love seeing the cookbook. And by the way, I have a egg slicer and we use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some fabulous history. Such a lovely post and so much info. I do have an egg slicer similar to that one. I love how you have shared the pictures and of course, the story to go with it. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful book!
    We talk a lot about the weather here in Sweden too. It makes me happy when the sun shines.

    Wish you a nice evening!
    Hugs, Ina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daphne,
    Oh, I remember the Pyrex dishes. What a nice post this is seeing all the things that were used in the past by our mothers. I wish I had one of those egg slicers, I forgot about them. Do you know that I have some of those metal cookie cutters? They belonged to my mom, and then handed down to me.

    Thank you for your comment on my 'cousin' post today. I appreciate it so much.

    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Daphne,
    Lovely for receiving this book; you can be so proud of Ivy! Especially for that time and era.
    My Mom, in The Netherlands also used her daily apron! That was part of the culture back than I guess.
    Thanks for this lovely told story and I don't think that apron was smocked...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Daphne. love your post, written as if you were talking to me. I still have a large casserole pyrex, the type with a high domed lid for cooking a whole chicken in, which I still use, and the shallow bottom I use for a maccaroni cheese recipe. Ive had it since I was first married 50 yrs ago, and as you said so easy to clean. Some of the early baking utensils last for years. What a nice idea to frame the card.I'm sure you enjoyed your sunny weekend, I certainly enjoyed mine, gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cook books like this are such a treasure, almost like a history book! I received white Pirexs with flowers back in 1975 when I got married and still have them somewhere in storage. I remember the metal egg slicer from my mom, not too long ago! Beautiful post! Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi and what a sweet little story. I loved hearing about your ancestors and loved seeing the little cookbook. I remember lots of these little gadgets too! My mother always wore an apron when she was in the kitchen! Now you have me craving an egg salad sandwich.
    Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think she was making egg salad too. What a wonderful card

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Daphne, this is so cool. Thanks for the attention to it's details and the fun way things used to be. Thanks for your fun comment about the phones we both own, yay! (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Grandmother and Mother always wore an apron. I just remembered, I have a vinegar bottle similar to the one in the photo and I just love my pyrex.

    I truly enjoyed your story. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely card to receive in the mail. The pinafore she is wearing is just darling! I live in my aprons while I am in the kitchen - I just love them. I so enjoyed reading about all of the memories you shared. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and I am a new follower on Google Plus. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember pyrex dishes well and then on to Corelle for me. I never ever wear an apron but I like them for decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a delightful post, Daphne! I am so glad I did not miss it. I have been so busy lately -- still unpacking and getting my granddaughter's room ready fro when i am watching her full time during the day when my daughter returns to work.

    The term "radiation cookbook" sounds so comical these days ... I wonder if future generation will giggle at terms we presently use? The card you received was so thoughtful and perfect! I enjoyed seeing all the details. I still own some Pyrex glass pans and also Corning Ware glass. They are very handy for baking and storing food.

    We are getting snow today --we had 10 inches yesterday and will probably get a few more today. April is Colorado's third snowiest month! It's OK --we need the moisture for a greener summer and more snow melt in our reservoirs as we don't get much rain here.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...