Pages

Wednesday 3 April 2013

FROM INDIA WITH LOVE

Good Morning to you,


It seems such a long time ago, since I said goodbye to you and packed for my holiday to India. But the time has passed by and I am back home in England, trying to get used to the cold and settling down  to life again.

We had a wonderful trip to India and have taken so many photos that I hope you don't end up yawning at them all. I promise I will not overload you, but each Wednesday, I will share photos and items of interest, which I know, you will enjoy reading about.

When we left Newcastle, it was snowing heavily, but when we arrived in Chennai, 36 hours later, we were greeted by a warm, balmy evening. We walked through Arrivals to find a sea of happy faces waiting for their loved one's to arrive,  but in no time at all we found our lovely daughter's smiling face and we gave her such a huge hug.

It was a 40 minute drive to Natasha's home and although it was 9 o'clock in the evening the streets were buzzing with people. It was such a contrast to where I live, as at 9 o'clock I might hear the odd car pass by, but other than that, it is very quiet.

When we arrived at Natasha's, look what we found.


A beautiful Kolam, which had been drawn at the entrance of the house, to welcome us to  Natasha's home. I was unable to take a photo when we arrived as it was dark, but took this the following morning. It was such a shame that a gust of wind had merged some of the colours, but not enough to spoil the design.


This kolam was drawn for Natasha and her husband to wish them wealth and prosperity for 2013.

Wasanti is the name of the talented lady, who drew these designs. Wasanti said she had learnt this skill from her mother and her mother learnt it from her mother, Wasanti's grandmother, and so the skill was passed on from mother to daughter.

A kolam is a traditional floor drawing which is found in Southern India, in this case Chennai, formerly known as Madras.

It is believed that the drawing of a kolam will purify the entrance to a home or building and will encourage the Goddess of  Wealth, Laxmi, to enter the house, thus giving the householders, wealth and prosperity.

The kolams are drawn using white rice flour, which is free flowing to allow the outline of the design to be created. When the design has been drawn, colours are added to more rice flour, which is then mixed with salt to create a firmer texture.   



This photo shows Wasanti working on a new kolam. Can you see the dots? This is how the design begins it's life.  She makes a series of dots which she then joins together with the white rice flour to form the design.


Wasanti has added the blue dyed rice flour and now, adds the green rice flour. It is such painstaking work. Do you see the pair of feet behind Wasanti?  Well those belong to Gajundren, Wasanti's husband.


Wasanti has finished adding the blue rice flour and  carefully she adds green.


As she finishes one section of green, she moves onto another.


.....and another.



This kolam had no colour added and is just as lovely. Each time I look at these designs I think they would look lovely as an embroidered piece of work.


It is hard to believe that these designs have not been drawn with chalk as a guide, before  sprinkling rice flour.....but believe me they have not.



......and quite sad to think, that after all the hard work, the kolam can be blown away by a gust of wind.


As much as I love the vibrant colours, which you get used to seeing in India, there is also a place in my heart for this lovely pastel coloured kolam.



This kolam has not been coloured, but a dish of flower heads, floating in water, has been placed in the middle of the design to add a splash of colour.


This is the book which Wasanti uses to draw her designs. If you look closely you will see how the dots are drawn and then joined together. 

Charan,Wasanti's young son has decided to add his special drawing to the left hand side of the page. 



.....and here is the lovely lady Wasanti, with her husband Gajundren and their little boy, Charan. Just like any three year old, there is always something more interesting to look at.

I have loved sharing these photos with you.  To know, that like me, you will enjoy and appreciate seeing such an unusual artistic form. I have known many skilled women in my life, but I have to say, I think Wasanti is up there with the best of them.  What do you think?

It is also a reminder to me of the skills which Ivy and Phyllis passed down to me and which I have, as a mother, passed on to Natasha and Danielle.

I wonder, at this moment, are you thinking about the skills your grandmother and mother passed down to you?

This week I will be joining, 



Take care and I will see you later in the week.







29 comments:

  1. Amazing artistic talent.
    These designs look like they have been drawn with colored chalk, but to know they are not "drawn" but "made" with rice flour really speaks of the talent of this young woman.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful work.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! Thank you so much for introducing me to the kolam and the wonderful artist, Wasanti. Amazing! Reminds me of Tibetan sand painting and sand-painting done by the Navajo in my home state of New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Daphne it is so good to hear from you and know that you had such a wonderful trip! Wasanti's work is amazing! So much time into creating something so beautiful only to have the wind take it away. I am so looking forward to ALL of the pictures from your trip. I hope you get some rest from your long trip. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a fantastic day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Daphne,
    Welcome back home from Chennai! Ah, we have been to Chennai several times, to meet with the General Manager from Pond's India after our consulting work for them. They had at that time also a mushroom division for which we worked. Also their leather garment business is in Chennai. We had some great food in that city; lovely memories in general about India.
    Oh, the artwork and above all their PATIENCE is something that seems to be completely lost to the western world!
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back home Daphne. What a wonderful welcome mat waiting for you when you arrived at your daughters. Such a beautiful design. I'm sure that will be tucked away in the back of your mind, waiting for the day become one of your lovely beaded embroidered projects.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back!!! Glad to know you are safe and had a memorable trip. Those kolam's are exquisite - yes, Wasanti is a one gifted woman. I honestly don't know my grandmother too well, so I can't say what skills she passed along to me. I CAN say she passed down a love for Christ, which I am passing down to my children. Have a great week, friend!

    XOXO,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Daphne, I am glad you arrived back in England safely and enjoyed the time with your daughter in India. The flour drawings are amazing and beautiful. I have never seen them before. Olive

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home. It seems we both took a trip. I love your photos. Sharing these beautiful designs is priceless. Such a wonderful gift to be passed on down. Relax now. Thanks so much for sharing these lovely photos Daphne. xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Daphne!!

    I'm so glad to hear from you!!

    So, I can tell you had a great start to your trip. It's always hard, I find, when we travel to warmer places, to come back to cool temperatures.

    The art that you have shown us is so beautiful!! It must take a lot of patience to do this kind of art. She is a beautiful woman!!

    Thank you for the treat of leaning something new!!

    Pam
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful! lovely details and colors. Definitely, she must have a lot of patience

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi
    I love your blog. What an interesting post. I was in Newcastle, England in June 2011. I love England and would love to come back for another visit.
    xo
    Betty @ My Cozy Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fascinating post. You will certainly never bore me with tales and photos of your trip. I really enjoyed learning about these beautiful kolams. I'd love to have someone draw one of these at the entrance to me house. Lovely! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Daphne,welcome back!You had a very long trip!!Amazing artistic talent! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a wonderful week!Happy April!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oi,Daphne! Que bom te ver de volta. Deves ter aproveitado muito! E que coisa linda esse KOLAN! Belo trabalho , de paciência, amor colocado em cada pedacinho"! Adorei!


    um beijo, bom retorno às atividades e ao frio na Inglaterra, que, pelo que vi, na cidade do meu filho, está nevando hoje. beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
  16. HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOO Daphne! So glad you had such a nice long vacation/visit in India, but much more glad you are back home and back to bloggggging! Yay! You warm my heart so much. Did you see my post titled "silly fun" on the 7th of March? I have on your lovely gift. THANK YOU SO MUCH! That was just down right nice of you to give me the necklace and your love. awwwwh ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to see your comments on CollectInTexas Gal and this post, and know that you are back in your homeland and blogland. Welcome Back! Loved this post with your photos and descriptions. Absolutely, these amazing designs would make incredible embroidery or applique quilt patterns. It seems like I have seen similar designs in Batiks from India. So much work, symbolism, talent and ancestor influence in the art of Koalm. Thank you for sharing.
    Sue~CollectInTexasGal
    AtoZ LoneStar Quilting Bee

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome home, Daphne! It sounds like you had a wonderful visit back to India. The traditon of making a Kolam is so interesting and beautiful! I enjoyed seeing your photos and look forward to more from your trip.

    Thanks for you support on my "Poise" products post. Menopause seems to be a taboo subject for many and I don't understand why? Woman should embrace it as stage of life -- a badge of honor for living long and entering the age of wisdom and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Daphne,

    Feliz por ter você de volta.
    Amei seu comentário lá no blog. Você sempre muito acolhedora e simpática, como na foto de seu perfil.
    Tenho planos de conhece a Índia. Aqui na NZ, têm muitos indianos. Gosto demais deles, principalmente das roupas e dos costumes.
    Esse Kolan é simplesmente fantástico.
    Linda foto do casal indiano e o filho.
    Seja Bem Vinda de volta. Abraços.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazingly talented artist. Glad you had a nice trip. Welcome home!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting! Visiting from MHC.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Daphne,

    So nice to meet you! It's amazing how many interesting things one can learn reading a single post! These colourful and traditional designs are indeed, quite extraordinary and it's always special when one can see the artist, as well. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great weekend,

    Your newest follower,

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful these are! I had no knowledge of these wonderful designs and I love learning new things! They are so amazing!

    Thank you so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful and warm welcome! I love so much about India. The beauty, the richness of their history, the warmth and generosity of their spirit. Thank you for sharing some of this with us.

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Daphne!

    I am delighted with these drawings koalan, because I had never seen it before.

    Kisses from Rio de Janeiro!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I must have missed this post earlier, but loved finding it today and seeing the wonderful designs. What a magnificent piece of work to have greeting you as you arrived, Daphne!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you! This rekindled my interest to obtain the materials and begin to practice this art. With our new home in Rochester on the horizon I'll be dreaming of kolams tonight. Big hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome back Daphne! I'm so glad you made it back safe and sound. I missed you and your wonderful posts. Thank you for sharing such a special talented lady with us. I've never heard of a Kolam, but I'm so glad you showed us. Wasanti's designs are exquisite. I think I would love to just park myself in a spot nearby and just watch her work. How fascinating. And I agree with you, her designs would make lovely embroidery. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures from your trip. Welcome home and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a beautiful gesture, and how talented Wasanti is! Thank you so much for posting these, and telling their history. What a wonderful journey it must have been...

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...