Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2013

DAPHNE THE GREEK GODDESS

Good Morning to you,

I awoke this morning, made my way downstairs to put the coffee machine on. I opened the shutters and look what I saw!


What was that on top of our garden statues head?


Were my eyes deceiving me. I reached for my glasses and yes, Daphne (the name of the statue) was wearing a snow hat and snow wrap .....doesn't she look elegant. 

I am not being egotistical by naming our garden statue Daphne. Actually never mind about egotistical, who names a garden statue, certainly not me.  The name was given by Kyriargos, our Cypriot friend. The first time he looked at the statue he told us, her name was Daphne, after the Greek Goddess. What could I say, I graciously accepted the title of Greek Goddess.

For the sake of accuracy I thought I should tell you that Daphne was a actually a nymph  and not a goddess.

Way back in October, I  promised to show you more of my Picture Post Magazine from 1939. If you missed the first part you can read it  here So today I thought I would show you adverts from that era.


So, before and after photographs are not only a product of today's advertising. This is quite a transformation. Do you think it is due to the lighting, the make up, the hairstyle and the smile. Tell me, am I being cynical?


This little girl is enjoying her Chilvern Cottage Cheese. She  definitely has a contented look on her face. 

Do you see the price of the pair of silver plated teaspoons. They could be bought for one shilling. Mind you, the price was a shilling, only if two box tops, from two six penny packets of Cheese were sent to the Chilvern company.

I remember Phyllis saving box tops from packets of Daz Washing Powder. For every "x" amount of tops you sent to Daz, you received a red plastic rose.  Phyllis collected about  a dozen which were displayed in a vase on the dining room table.  It sounds odd nowadays to collect plastic roses, but in the early 1960's they were very fashionable.


I remember using a similar product to Veet, when I was in my 20's, I only used this once as trust me the aroma was not a pleasant.  Looking back, I dread to think what ingredients were included in this product.


Tin salmon during the 1930's, 40's, and 50's was a definite luxury item.  I remember Ivy would make salmon and cucumber sandwiches, cut into triangles, as a special treat for our Sunday tea.


I would hope that the "valuable ingredients in Cuticura are based on scientific knowledge" and not added haphazardly!


Phyllis bought Pepsodent toothpaste when we were children. There was a catchy song which was sang advertising Pepsodent, but for the life of me I cannot remember it.

Do you think the model in this picture is the same as the model, Miss C in the "How I got rid of my wrinkles" advert? If not they are very similar.


....and finally, Yardley Lavender perfume.  This was an expensive perfume as the prices ranged from 2 shillings and 6 pence to 2 guineas....a huge sum of money for that time.

I found it interesting to see, that the advertising for women's products,  were playing to the insecurities of women, in 1939, very much as they do today.

What do you think of the adverts. I should imagine the company  you will know, is Yardley as they are a well known name. 

This week I shall be joining Claudia for My Favourite Thing  here

On Sunday I will be making a Greek vegetarian dish, until then take care and I will see you later in the week.  







26 comments:

  1. This post took me back.
    I remember so well these advertisements !
    I am amazed that all those years ago, they were interested in white teeth - really white teeth.
    I had thought that was only in this decade !
    Great pictures.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! It's great to look back at old advertising and see that it is much the same as it is today, yet different.

    Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved going through that old magazine with you this morning Daphne. Yes, it's amazing that the basic premise of advertising to women hasn't changed a lot over the years. And I agree with you about the wrinkle remover. The angle of her face in the "before" picture created a lot of shadows. And look at the difference in the clothes she was wearing. The before were suited for an old school marm, where the after were much more youthful looking. I like to think we're at least a little more savvy than that nowadays! So glad you shared. Have a great day!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Daphne,

    What a lovely sight to wake up to...or at least lovely if you like snow! Those advertisements are just priceless. What fun to read through a magazine of that age. What a difference in advertising compared to today!

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No snow in Carolina but cold and rainy ..enjoy your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. no telling what those product were made of...unfortunately, those are probably the same as we buy today...minus the stink...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hallo dear Daphne!Hope you're enjoying the snow!!Your statues looks great with that snow!!I like waching all those old advertising,thank you for sharing!Wishing you a lovely week!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at these old ads. I like looking back at the way things were. (I'm 30 and wan't around at that particular time, but...) My favorite show is Mad Men, because I love all the costumes, etc.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Daphne,
    I'm so glad you paid me a visit at A Humble Creation so I could pop over here to follow your blog. I love your idea of following the 3 generations of women in your family. And the story of the statue's name is great, especially that you graciously accept the name of Greek Goddess - Ha! I actually liked Daphne for our daughter, but my husband wanted Kate. Both are lovely, but Kate it is! Anyway, I'll be back later to peruse some more, my new blogger friend!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Daphne statue is gorgeous with her snow cap and her snow wrap!!!
    I liked the old ads very much!! Thanks for sharing them !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for stopping by to check on Highpointcircle! I love your comment about my hearts and am sure we are kindred spirits. I will be stopping by your place from now on too. I love the garden statues snow cap and collar! We could sure use some moisture in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bom dia amiga! adorei ver voce no meu kantinho!!!
    obrigada!
    amo comerciais de época antigos, gostei da deusa grega Daphne...quanta neve ...ai que friiiio!
    aqui muito quente.
    bjssssss

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Daphne-
    What a lovely trip down memory lane you have shared.
    The Chilvern Cheese advertisement offering the spoons reminded me of when I was a little girl and my Mom would collect box tops (I can't remember exactly which ones) and then redeem then for different household items. She also collected "Blue Chip" stamps, you could collect these stamps at grocery stores, or gas stations, depending on how much money you spent. We couldn't wait to lick the stamps and put them in the "Official Blue Chip Stamp Book" and then Mom would redeem them as well. I clearly remember once Mom getting a set of silverware with these stamps.
    I remember Veet too, and oh boy it was stinky!
    My Grammy had the Pepsodent Tooth Powder as well. I remember being so excited to brush my teeth when I would visit with her. I'm pretty sure I brushed my teeth several times a day- ha !
    'Daphne" is stunning with her snow hat and wrap.
    Have a very good day.
    Becka

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daphne what funny and interesting post! Here we have Pepsodent paste, so is possible we had pepsodent podwer LOL
    I dont remember what used my Grand mom!
    I love the statue picture, stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't there just something magical about snow? I get excited at seeing the first flake. Don't get me wrong, I can do without a lot of it, but I do love watching it come down. I enjoyed the pages from your vintage magazine. The illustrations are great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun post. I love old magazines and especially the ads. I think it's Miss C's hairstyle, makeup, and smile that makes her look much younger. I thought that little girl was rubbing the cheese on her face:-) Such a pretty view to wake up to and a lovely statue too.
    Thanks so much for visiting with me...I'm following you too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lucky you to get that beautiful snow! We had snow in the forcast yesterday but it ended up missing us. Oh well. Those old advertisements are fun to read. My how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The snow on your statue is really artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Daphne - I'm from Canada so I live in snow for months at a time. I am looking forward to your recipe as I am a vegetarian and love to try new recipes. Your blog looks like lots of fun so I am your new follower dropping over from Claudia's blog. Do enjoy that snow..me, I'm sick of it. Hugs, Deb (Ontario, Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these old adverts - the first one? Yes to lighting, makeup, shadows and perhaps a wee bit of retouching!!!

    But you ARE a Greek Goddess. Didn't you know?

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've reminded me of a sculpture in Rome of Daphne and Apollo. It was by Bernini and I thought it was incredible, with Daphne's fingers turning to leaves.

    I enjoyed seeing the old ads!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Muy linda tu post Daphne y la estatua llena de nieve maravillosa y aquí con mucho sol es impresionante,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the statue with the snow hat. I have a few pictures of my statues with the same hats...a few years ago. We haven't had much snow in the past couple of winters.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  24. You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!
    Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These advertisements are a whole lot of fun! Thanks for sharing!
    xxx Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Daphne,

    Doesn't the fresh fallen snow look so beautiful? Thank you for stopping by my blog. You had asked if the red berries were rose hips and they are not. I have a Japanese Barberry bush and it has red berries in the winter - good food for the birds.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...