Pages

Sunday 28 October 2012

QUARTO BIBLE DATED 1846 PART II

Good Morning to you,

As promised, I am sharing the second part of Robert Haynes family story, which was recorded in his family Bible.

Do you remember, last Sunday,  I wrote about how Lucy Haynes, Robert's second wife,  had died. Lucy died on 23rd October 1872. 

The moment that Lucy died, the clocks would have been stopped, the curtains drawn and all mirrors in the house would have been covered.
 
During the Victorian times, poems, like the one I am going to share with you, were written to represent the  inevitability of death.



In the middle of the Family Register, Robert had included this poem. I hope you can read it, as the handwriting you see overlaying the poem, is Robert's handwriting.  He had written on the previous page and did not let the ink dry, consequently it marked this page.

 
As you read the poem, the first line may not make sense to you.  What looks like an over extended "f" is actually an "s".  So the first two lines read,


 "She is dead!" they said to him.
"Come away; Kiss her! and leave her!
- thy love is clay."


On this page, the first two lines read,
 
"He and She; and yet she would not smile,
Though he called her  the name she loved, erewhile."




The first two lines of the final page read,

"I would say, though the angel of death
 had laid his sword on my lips
 to keep it unsaid."


Robert's daughters both married. Interestingly the youngest daughter Mabel Kate was married first. Mabel married William Ernest Boden of Birmingham, on November 15th, 1888. They were married by the Reverend V.G. Waggett.
 
Robert's eldest daughter, Lily married Ralph Thicknifse, oldest son of the Bishop of Leicester on November 16th 1889. They were married by the Reverend Pigott.




In this page Robert talks about being familiar with the Bible, and if you are, you can draw all things from it. He also writes that, "He who begins to study the Bible late in life must, indeed devote himself to it night and day, and with a humble and contrite heart, as well as an awakened and soaring spirit."



There are two torn pages at the back of the bible which sadly were like this when I bought the book.  These two pages, I feel, hold the key to the family in later years.
 
One note of interest is James Sydney Haynes married Elvira M. Koons on 21st June 1844 at Columbus, Luzerne Co, PA, U.S.A. 
 
The children of James and Elvira are listed, so you never know, someone, might know someone who knows a member of this family and the Bible can be returned to it's rightful owners. This would make me so happy, as I know I would love to own a hand written  history of my family, especially if it had been recorded by one of my ancestors.
 


This is the final page in the Bible which is also torn.  It shows the name Valentine and also Mary Stevens who lived at 3 Dovecote Villas, Woodgreen.
 
It's such a shame as these last two pages would of held so much information about the family coming into the 1900's.
 
I hope you have enjoyed taking a peek into Robert's life.  Because he had taken the time to write about his family, we have had the pleasure of reading about him. We also know the name of a person who lived his life, so many years before we were born.
 
Take care and I will see you later in the week.
 
Best Wishes
 
 
Daphne xxx
 
 
 
 



 




 

20 comments:

  1. So interesting to hear about this family. There is so much history around us everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kelly, I agree, there is nothing more fascinating than reading about an actual family who lived their lives so many years before we were born. Enjoy your day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, Daphne. I love discovering things about families in old diaries and bibles. I did a lot of geneology work on my family when I was younger. It was fascinating.
    Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Barbara, Yes, isn't it fascinating to discover an old book, or a bible to find the previous owner has written in it. I also find the handwriting interesting. That is to say how the style of handwriting has changed over the years. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Hope your packing is going well. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  3. thanks for sharing the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Daniela, Your more than welcome, I am so pleased you enjoyed reading about Robert's family. I have owned the Bible for many years and still am fascinated by it. Have a lovely day today. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  4. I really find this whole thing fascinating! It would be incredible if this treasure found its way back to the family somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Gina, Yes, I agree it is a fascinating subject and my dearest wish is that it could make it's way back to the family as I know they would be thrilled to receive something that was hand written by an ancestor. Fingers crossed that this happens. Take care, as I hear a hurricane is heading your way. Keep safe. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  5. Hallo Daphne!I enjoyed reading this post!Lucky to have this book!Wish you a lovely week my dear!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalimara Dimi, I am so pleased you enjoyed reading about Robert's family, it is really fascinating. Yes I am lucky to have this book, but I bought it at a time when these books were not popular. I have kept it safe for over 40 years in the hope that I can find the rightful owners. Maybe one day. Have a lovely day Dimi, Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  6. I've always found the study of our ancestry to be fascinating and illuminating...Hope you do find someone from this family; this would be a treasure for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Jacqueline, I certainly agree with you. It's fascinating to read about our ancestors. I also enjoy scouring old bookshops and I am thrilled when I find a book which someone has written their name in. You see their style of handwriting, you read their name and you cannot help but wonder what their life was like.
      Have an enjoyable day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this story. I hope that one day the family will be reunited with this important record of their family history. What a treasure! Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Amy, Your more than welcome. I am so pleased there has been so much interest in this old bible. Like you, I live in the hope that one day the bible will be reunited with the family. You just never know, someone might read my blog and a name will "click". Wouldn't that be wonderful. If that ever happens, I will let you know. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  8. What an amazing story. I love old history, especially such a personal family one, such as you shared. It would be wonderful if someone belonging to this family were to find you and be reunited with their loved ones.
    Your snow is beautiful!
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Becka, It is a lovely story of one family isn't it. I do hope one day that the Bible and the family can be reunited, but until then, I will keep the Bible safe until it is reclaimed. Have a lovely evening. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  9. Oh Daphne, what an amazing piece of history you hold in your hands. Thank you so much for sharing the rest of the story with us. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie, I'm so pleased you enjoyed hearing about Robert's life, it was fascinating wasn't it. Aren't I lucky to hold a piece of history in my hands. Enjoy the rest of your day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  10. That was interesting! You have a talent of finding those important things.

    Yes my family is a sheer blessing. That Village is so fun to go to each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening Renae, I do enjoy books and owning one that someone else had enjoyed reading. Much better than owning a new book, but then maybe, one day, my new book, will be someone elses old book....and so the world turns. Take care and enjoy your evening. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...