Pages

Sunday 22 July 2012

CAMP COFFEE CAKE

Good Morning to you,

 I am very happy today, as I am making a Coffee Cake.  This cake I know my Father and Gramps would have loved!  Last week I introduced you to their favourite coffee, so this week I thought I would incorporate  Camp Coffee into the recipe,  instead of my normal filter coffee.  It will be interesting to see how this cake turns out, as I have never baked with Camp Coffee before!  So I am going to gather my ingredients and give this cake a try, fingers crossed it tastes as delicious as it normally does!

"CAMP COFFEE CAKE"

Sliced coffee cake with mascarpone cheese mixed with marshmallow fluff it
is not good for the waistline, but my.......it tastes good!

INGREDIENTS




275g/9 1/2 oz/1 1/4 cups of plain flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
75g/2 3/4 oz/ 1/3 cup  sugar
150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup of milk
2 eggs
100g/3 1/2 oz/1/2 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons of Camp Coffee
or use
2 tablespoons of your normal coffee
1 tablespoon of water
50g/1 3/4oz/1/3 cup ground almonds


TOPPING





75g/2 3/4 oz/1/2 cup of self raising flour
75g / 2 3/4 oz / 1/3 cup Demerara Sugar
25g / 1 oz unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of water


METHOD



Pre-heat the oven 190c/375f/Gas Mark 5


You will see that the baking parchment is not exactly round...this was the end of
a roll and I didn't want to waste it.
What's the saying, "waste not want not".


Butter a 23 cm/9inch loose bottom round cake tin
Line with baking parchment



Using a large bowl, sieve the flour and baking powder.




Add the sugar, ground almonds and stir



In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter, eggs, milk, Camp Coffee with 1 tablespoon of water (or your normal coffee) and stir.



Pour the coffee mixture on to the dry ingredients.


 Mix together




Place the mixture into the buttered cake tin.


MAKE THE TOPPING



Place the sieved flour and cinnamon in a bowl.



Add  the butter and rub together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.



Add the Demerara sugar and stir.





Add 1 tablespoon of water and stir.



Sprinkle the cinnamon topping over the cake mixture

Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 50 minutes.  As always keep an "eye" on your cake because your oven might be different to mine. If you find your cake is browning too quickly, cover with tin foil or baking parchment.

Baked cake with crunchy topping


Remove from the oven and check to make sure the cake is thoroughly cooked by inserting a baking skewer into the centre of the cake, the cake is baked when the skewer comes out clean.


Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes.  Turn out onto a wire tray to cool and peel off the baking parchment.





When cooled, slice and serve with mascarpone cheese mixed with Marshmallow Fluff.  I found another use for it!  Normally I add icing sugar to the mascarpone, but the Fluff worked well.  If you prefer, you can enjoy this coffee cake with whipped cream..... or just eat it on it's own!

When cooled slice and enjoy.


NOTES.

I did  enjoy making this cake.....I think next time I would add 3 tablespoons of Camp Coffee as I didn't get too much of a coffee flavour, but as with all new things it's trial and error.

I hope you enjoy making this cake, let me know what you think and whether you feel it needed a stronger coffee flavour.

See you Wednesday,  take care until then.

                                     Best Wishes,



                                       Daphne xxx







4 comments:

  1. I'll plan a cheat day just for this! Thank you for including american measurements. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Bea, thank you for becoming my 2nd follower, it's very sweet of you.

      Delete
    2. The pleasure is mine...

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh that makes me hungry! It looks delicious! And I also have to tell you that I love your dishes and your home is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...