Pages

Sunday 24 June 2012

DORSET APPLE CAKE

Hello Everyone,

We are having some dreadful weather here in England .....it has been raining "cats and dogs" all weekend,  so I am going to cheer myself up.
 
 I've put on my apron, switched on the oven, gathered my ingredients and I'm ready to bake.

BUT BEFORE WE START BAKING I promised I would share with you the photo of Ivy's Radiation New World Cooker, and here it is,



Ivy was a champion baker, who won awards for her baking and she achieved her success with this little cooker..... wasn't she amazing! What sort of cooker did your grandmother use, I would love to hear your stories.

Now to the main event,


DORSET APPLE CAKE




THE RECIPE

8 oz (225g) Cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
8 oz (225g) sultanas (optional)
1/4 pint  (150 ml) of milk (of your choice I used semi-skimmed)
6 oz (175g) soft brown sugar
12 oz (350g) plain flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
2 level teaspoons mixed spice
6 oz (175g) butter (melted)
1 large egg (at room temperature), beaten
1 oz (25g) demerara sugar


METHOD

Pre-heat oven 170c/325f/Gas Mark 3
Butter and line the base of an 8 inch (20cm) round cake tin with greaseproof paper


Mix together the chopped apples, sultanas, mixed spice, milk and sugar


Melt butter in a saucepan


In a separate bowl, sieve together the flour and baking powder
and pour in the melted butter.
Add the apple and sultana mixture


Add the beaten egg


Mix well until all the flour has been incorporated


Place into the buttered and lined cake tin
and spread evenly with a palette knife.


Sprinkle with 1 oz (25g) Demerara sugar


Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
Check that the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake,
it should come out clean.


Leave the cake to cool for 15 minutes and carefully remove from the cake tin.
Place on a wire rack to cool completely.


Serve with whipped double cream


Like so,


MAKE YOURSELF A CUP OF COFFEE,
GO ON ..... CUT A SLICE,
AND ENJOY!




Let me know what you think of this cake, it would be lovely to hear from you.

NEXT WEEK:

I am going to share with you Ivy's recipe book, Phyllis' recipe book and my first cookery book.
There is such a difference in the look and style of the cookery books....you will see what I mean next week.

So until then, have a fabulous week and I will catch up with you next Sunday.... HAPPY BAKING.




Best Wishes,

Daphne xxx


3 comments:

  1. Daphne, how tall is your 8" pan? I'm a U.S. reader and am afraid that mine will be too short, and that I will need to adapt the pan and therefore the timing ...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning to you, Firstly can I say thank you for reading my blog and enjoying it enough to make one of my cakes.....I'm thrilled. I have checked my cake tin and the depth is three and a half inches. Just a thought, because all of our ovens seem to be slightly different when it comes to cooking times, I would check the cake after 1 hour. I hope your family enjoy the Dorset Apple Cake as much as we do. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a tiny little cooker! We aren't used to appliances like that!

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...